The course is included in these curricula and study modules
- Emergency care 2011 - Projects in working life or practical training and innovation
- Emergency care 2012 - Projects in working life or practical training and innovation
- Emergency care 2013 - Projects in working life or practical training and innovation
- Nursing 2011 (nursing) - Projects in working life or practical training and innovation
- Nursing 2012 (nursing) - Projects in working life or practical training and innovation
- Nursing 2013 (nursing) - Projects in working life or practical training and innovation
- Nursing 2011 - Projects in working life or practical training and innovation
- Nursing 2012 - Projects in working life or practical training and innovation
- Nursing 2013 - Projects in working life or practical training and innovation
- Nursing 2014 - Substance specific specialization, clinical practice and project work
Type of course
Cycle/level of course
Recommended year of study
Total number of ECTS
During this course, the student develops both
theoretical and practical competencies that
support advanced contextual expertise in the field
of emergency ward nursing.
At the end of the course the student is
-independently assess acutely ill or injured
adult patient's clinical status by identifying vital functions/disorders, as well as, to determine the need for treatment
- independently initiate immediate treatment
based on accurate diagnosis of the patients
- demonstrate teamwork skills with others from
diverse backgrounds, while caring for patients
in the emergency department
- discuss and reflect on patient safety and
ethical aspects of emergency ward nursing
This course utilizes systematic patient
assessment (triage) to determine the level of
care and appropriate action in a variety of
situations. Components include:
- Basic teamwork and communication skills in
- Rapid recognition and proper response for
acute respiratory emergencies
- Securing an airway and maintaining
oxygenation for acutely ill patients
- Care of the patient with cardiac emergencies
- EKG interpretation and care of patients with
- Care of the patient with cardiac emergencies
- Care of the patient with an hypovolemic
- Care of the patient with neurological
impairment in the emergency dept.
- Care of the unconscious patient/impaired
- Care of the patient with acute
- Emergency care for the patient suffering from
Gastrointestinal issues.(Poison,toxic substances)
- Care of the patient needing surgical intervention in the emergency dept
- Care of the patient requiring medical
intervention in the emergency dept.(Endocrinology)
- Emergency care for the trauma patient
- Care of the critically ill patient via the
Prerequisites and co-requisites
Accomplished first, second and third year courses with a passing grade.
Previous course names
Advanced care 2016-2017
The student should have language skills in both English and Finnish as teaching always takes place in either language. Tasks and written work can be done in Swedish, Finnish or in English.
Recommended or required reading
Akuuttihoidon laitteet. 2013. Pölönen, P., Ala-Kokko, T., Helveranta, K., Jäntti, H., Kokko, A. (toim.). Duodecim.
Akuuttihoidon lääkkeet. 2017. Parviainen, I., Ala-Kokko, T., Bendel, S., Kaukonen, M., Koivula, I. (toim.). Duodecim.
Teho- ja valvontahoitotyön opas. 2017. Ritmala-Castrén, M., Lönn, M., Lundgrén-Laine, H., Meriläinen, M., Minna Peltomaa (toim.) 2., uudistettu painos. Duodecim.
Verensiirto-opas. Eeva-Riitta Savolainen, Anri Tienhaara, Tomi Koski, Eija Mahlamäki, Susanna Sainio, Katja Salmela (toim.) 1. painos 2018. Duodecim.
EKG-tulkinnan työkirja. 2016. Mäkijärvi, M., Parikka, H., Raatikainen, P., Heikkilä, J. (toim.) Duodecim
EKG. 2003. Heikkilä, J., Mäkijärvi, M. (toim.) Duodecim Duodecimin kirjat ovat myös verkkokirjoina, www.terveysportti.fi External link, vaatii oston.
Ensihoito. 2017. Kuisma, M., Holmström, p., Porthan, K. Sanoma Pro.
Oireista työdiagnoosiin. 2016. Kosonen, A., Saikko, S., Alanen, P., Jormakka, J. Sanoma Pro.
Additional learning material/scientific articles are posted on ItsLearning
- Lectures - 60 hours
- Individual- and group instruction - 40 hours
- Practical exercises - 60 hours
- Individual studies - 40 hours
- Internet-based studies - 70 hours
- Total workload of the course: 270 hours
- Of which autonomous studies: 270 hours
- Of which scheduled studies: 0 hours
Mode of Delivery
Participation in tuition
Demonstrations and proficiency exams
In order to accomplish the course the student
will actively participate in contact days including, Net-based activities, lectures, competence development and simulations.
- Ekman Petra
- Paakkonen Heikki
- Stenman Tiina
- Villikka Denise
Home page of the course
Assignments valid until
12 months after course has ended
The timetable of the course
Introduction to the course:
17.9 Introduction to the course beginning 9am. A class schedule will be given with accurate times on lecture/contact days.
19.9 HTH koulutuspäivä certification (9-16) E4
26.9 Simulations (9-16)
3.10 Simulations (9-16)
10.10 Simulations (9-16)
17.10 Simulations (9-16)
24.10 Simulations (9-16)
Date will be announced later - Demonstrations and presentations