Moving abroad always comes with new experiences and challenges. The International Student Advisor is here to help students who are moving to Finland.

Welcome to Finland

Hi! I'm Laurits Møller, I'm the International Student Advisor at Arcada. I'm here to help you with all of those practical problems that inevitably turn up when you move to a new country.

Am I covered by social security in Finland? How do I get a Kela card? Do I need to exchange my driving licence for a Finnish one? I got a job at a restaurant, how can I get a hygiene passport? What documents do I need to renew my residence permit?

I don't always know the answer to questions like these, but I can help you find the answer! See my contact details at the bottom of the page.

Student Discounts

I can give the form for getting you student discount on the HSL Travel Card as well as Kela's meal subsidy card for the subsidised lunch in Arcadas lunch restaurant. For other student benefits I recommend becoming a member of our student union ASK External link and getting a student card through them.

IT support

If you're a new student I can help you activate your Arcada IT User Account. If you're in Helsinki just come see me and bring your passport. If you're not in Finland send me an e-mail and I will send you instructions on how to activate your account. If you have other IT-related questions or problems please contact our IT department.

Office Hours

You'll find me in room C244 in the Library.

Regular drop-in hours until the end of June 2024:

Day Time
Mondays 10:00–12:00
Wednesdays 10:00–12:00
Thursdays 10:00–12:00

There will not be any drop-ins during the month of July. Drop-in times in August will be announced before the end of June.

If the door is open you are more that welcome to come in and say hello even if it is outside my office hours.

If these times don't suit you or you are unable to come to campus, just send me an e-mail to book a different time or a Teams/Zoom meeting. You'll find my contact information at the bottom of the page.

Where to find more information

If you're on your way to Finland, please see our page with useful information for new international degree students. External link has a wealth of basic information for immigrants on the functioning of society and opportunities in Finland. It covers a wide range of topics from health care to starting a business, and finding jobs and accommodation. All the information is available in 12 languages.

International House Helsinki External link (IHH) is the official regional service that helps international newcomers live and work in Helsinki, Espoo and Vantaa. Whether you are abroad, just moved to the Helsinki region or have already been here for some time, they are there to help you settle in your new home! Check out their Newcomer's Guide External link, it's packed full of practical information about life in Helsinki.

The Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment also have a very useful guide called Welcome to Finland External link (available in more languages here External link).

International Degree Students

This page is intended for new international degree students at Arcada! Here you can find useful information for foreign students, including useful tips related to living and studying in Finland.