The course is included in these curricula and study modules
- Emergency care 2005 - Caring science
- Emergency care 2006 - Caring science
- Emergency care 2008 - Caring science
- Emergency care 2007 - Caring science
- Emergency care 2009 - Caring science
- Emergency care 2010 - Caring science
- Emergency care 2011 - Caring science
- Emergency care 2012 - Caring science
- Emergency care 2013 - Caring science
- Nursing 2006 (health care) - Caring science
- Nursing 2007 (nursing) - Caring science
- Nursing 2007 (midwifery) - Caring science
- Nursing 2007 (health care) - Caring science
Type of course
Cycle/level of course
Recommended year of study
Total number of ECTS
The aim of the course is knowledge of the historical ideas and roots of natural caring, professional nursing and caring/nursing science; and to reflect on and practice caring ethics in nursing.
At the end of the course the student is expected to be able to understand the historical trends in caring and nursing and caring science; to report the methods for history of ideas and the critical use of texts in this research approach; to reflect on ethos and caring/nursing ethics and put this into practice.
Methods and critical approaches in the history of ideas. The ideological roots and ideas of caring and nursing. Ideas of caring and nursing science theorists. Caring and nursing ethics, the nursing and caring philosophy of the hospital, ethical theories.
Prerequisites and co-requisites
Caring science (basic)
Previous course names
Partly: The history of ideas in caring and nursing; caring/nursing ethics.
The student should attend the first lesson and seminars.
Recommended or required reading
Eriksson K (red.) 1995. Mot en caritativ vårdetik.
Eriksson K, Matilainen D (red.) 2002. Vårdandets och vårdvetenskapens idéhistoria. Strövtåg i spårandet av "caritas originalis".
- Lectures - 17 hours
- Practical exercises - 13 hours
- Small-group work - 0 hours
- Individual studies - 90 hours
- - 13 hours
- Total workload of the course: 133 hours
- Of which autonomous studies: 133 hours
- Of which scheduled studies: 0 hours
Mode of Delivery
- Demonstrations and proficiency exams
- Essays, reports, productions and portfolio
- Gray Pamela
- Nyström Patrik
- Wallinvirta Eivor
- Paakkonen Heikki
Home page of the course
Assignments valid until
12 months after course has ended
- Date will be announced later - Demonstrations and presentations
- Date will be announced later - Reports and productions