The course is included in these curricula and study modules
Type of course
Cycle/level of course
Recommended year of study
Total number of ECTS
In this study unit, the following competence /
competencies are in focus:
- the ability to work / function confidently in
various routine professional speech situations.
- the ability to process authentic reading and
understand English text.
- use the language fluently in speech and writing
for different purposes, with emphasis on your own
To achieve this, you need to have a proficiency of
at least B1.1 in English according to the CEFR
Divided into knowledge, skills and attitudes...
After completing the study unit, you have
Knowledge - what you know
- you have knowledge of your industry language and
know how to develop it.
- you have knowledge of academic writing,
reference systems and report structure.
Skills - what you can do
- can tell about your own industry and yourself in
speech and text
- understand spoken standard language
- participate in conversations and handle customer
- write typical documents for the industry and
academic text in English
- you are careful to follow the norms and
etiquette of the language in speech and writing
Teaching and exercises in:
- expressing oneself objectively and appropriately
even on subjective topics. oral communication.
- academic writing, reference systems and report
- identifying, formulating and expressing their
skills and experience.
- giving presentations.
Previous course names
Englsh 5 ects (2013-2021 Business administration)
Students are required to submit all assignments
and coursework tasks for assessment to pass the
course. The course
grade is based on continual assessment, and the
completion of all tasks and assignments
submitted (80%) and activity/participation (20%)
in classes. There is no final exam.
Recommended or required reading
Course material will be found in Itslearning
Recommended course book:
Business Communication. Krizan, Merrier, Jones.
(Thomson South-Western 6th edition ISBN 0-324-
The Good Grammar Guide. Richard Palmer
(Routledge Study Guides - Routledge)
Guide to Managerial Communication - Effective
Business Writing and Speaking. Mary Munter
Mastering Communication. Nicky Stanton
(Macmillan Master Series)
Oxford Guide to Writing & Speaking - The Key to
Effective Communication. John Seely (Oxford
Schaum's Guide to Great Presentation Skills.
Melody Templeton, Suzanne Sparks FitzGerald
Schaum's Guide to Writing great Research
Papers. Laurie Rozakis (McGraw-Hill)
Collins Cobuild English Dictionary
- Lectures - 40 hours
- Individual- and group instruction - 5 hours
- Practical exercises - 10 hours
- Small-group work - 20 hours
- Project- and production work/artistic activities - 10 hours
- Individual studies - 40 hours
- Internet-based studies - 10 hours
- Total workload of the course: 135 hours
- Of which autonomous studies: 135 hours
- Of which scheduled studies: 0 hours
Mode of Delivery
Participation in tuition
- Demonstrations and proficiency exams
- Essays, reports, productions and portfolio
Continuous assessment of participation/activity,
all coursework exercises and tasks, and
- Write an effective job application with an
introductory letter and associated CV.
- Write an analysis or a summary of a topic
related to your own field.
- Hold a formal presentation on a topic related to
your own area.
- Write a structured report on a topic related to
your own field or learning
To pass the course the student should pass the
following examinations: as specified in
Examination 1 ....
Examination 2.... etc.
(examinations include written examination tests,
demonstrations and presentations, reports and
produktions, essays, and also presence at
The examinations contribute to the final grade as
Home page of the course
Assignments valid until
Until date 2023-06-05
- Date will be announced later - Demonstrations and presentations
- Date will be announced later - Reports and productions