The course is included in these curricula and study modules
Type of course
Cycle/level of course
Recommended year of study
Total number of ECTS
The aim of the course is that after the course the student should:
- be able to specify a problem and an aim for his/her thesis
- be able to critically choose the right method and literature
- be able to structure a theoretical framework
- be able to critically evaluate other students work
- be able to present his/her work
- to listen six thesis presentations during the course
At the end of the course the student is expected to be able to write an aim and problem definition.
The student can choose the right methodological approach.
The student can individually find sources and evaluate them.
The student plans and writes a theoretical framework.
- Purpose, problem
- Individual planning
Prerequisites and co-requisites
100 credits passed
Previous course names
Compulsory participation on minimum 80% of contact lectures.
You have to listen four tourism thesis presentations and two from other programs.
After deadline for leaving the seminar paper you can not more make improvements.
Recommended or required reading
Altinay & Paraskevas 2008 Planning research in hospitality and tourism
Veal,A.J.2011. Research Methods for leisure&tourism.A practical guide. Fourth edition.Prentice Hall.
akala,J.T.2012.Uusi graduopas 3 painos
Bryman,A,Bell,E.2011. Business research methods. 3rd ed. Oxford University Press.
- Lectures - 20 hours
- Small-group work - 40 hours
- Individual studies - 60 hours
- - 13 hours
- Total workload of the course: 133 hours
- Of which autonomous studies: 133 hours
- Of which scheduled studies: 0 hours
Mode of Delivery
Participation in tuition
- Demonstrations and proficiency exams
- Essays, reports, productions and portfolio
Criteria for evaluation can be read on Itslearning and at course start
- Aittoniemi Hellevi
- Fabricius Susanna
Home page of the course
Assignments valid until
12 months after course has ended
The timetable of the course
- Date will be announced later - Demonstrations and presentations
- Date will be announced later - Reports and productions