The course is included in these curricula and study modules
- Materials processing technology 2021 - Engineering design
- Materials processing technology 2022 - Engineering design
- Mechanical and sustainable engineering 2021 - Engineering design
- Mechanical and sustainable engineering 2022 - Engineering design
- Mechanical and sustainable engineering 2023 - Engineering design
- Materials technology and sustainability 2023 - Engineering design
Type of course
Cycle/level of course
Recommended year of study
Total number of ECTS
Within this study unit we will focus on the following
Profession specific competence in Design
SDGs in focus: 4 - Quality Education
Once you have completed the study unit you will have:
The ability to design parts and assemblies of mechanical devices (knowledge,
The ability to validate and optimize engineering designs (knowledge, skill)
The ability to conduct engineering simulations and motion analyses of
designs (knowledge, skill)
To control the motion of a robot (knowledge, skill).
Gain an understanding of the underlying principles of how robots move and
how they are controlled. Students should be able to write programs that
control robots for picking-up/placing objects from the conveyor.
Understanding the various applications of robots and be able to discuss the
advantages and limitations of robots (knowledge, skill).
Motion Simulation and Mechanism Design with SolidWorks Motion
SolidWorks Design Study and Optimization
Control of a Robot (Theory and Lab)
Theory topics: Robot kinematics and dynamics, coordinate systems (tool/world), collaborative robots, industrial robots, robot
workspace and safety
1-Robot manipulation for pick/place objects from conveyors using infra-red sensor and standard gripper
2-Linear movements of end effector + simple trajectories
3-Vision set with the robot
Prerequisites and co-requisites
Computer Aided Design, Introduction to Programming,
Statics and Dynamics recommended.
Previous course names
Recommended or required reading
"Motion Simulation and Mechanism Design with
SOLIDWORKS Motion 2021 or 2022"
Kuang-Hua Chang, SDC Publications.
Google Play in Finland, RedShelf or iTunes.
- Individual- and group instruction - 20 hours
- Practical exercises - 8 hours
- Project- and production work/artistic activities - 45 hours
- Individual studies - 50 hours
- Internet-based studies - 12 hours
- Total workload of the course: 135 hours
- Of which autonomous studies: 135 hours
- Of which scheduled studies: 0 hours
Mode of Delivery
Essays, reports, productions and portfolio
Assignment 1: LinkedIn Learning (20%)
Assignment 2: SolidWorks Motion - Slider crank
mechanism simulation (20%)
Project 3: The control of Robots (60%)
- Ullah Rizwan
- Vihtonen Mathew
Home page of the course
Assignments valid until
Until date 2024-04-28
The timetable of the course
Please refer the plans tab in itslearning for weekly
details. The planned completion of the course is the 28th of April.
2024-04-28 - Reports and productions