The course is included in these curricula and study modules
- Nursing 2011 - General studies
- Nursing 2012 - General studies
- Nursing 2014 - General studies
- Nursing 2015 - General studies
- Nursing 2016 - General studies
- Nursing 2017 - General studies
- Nursing 2018 - General studies
- Nursing 2019 - General studies
- Nursing 2020 - General studies
- Nursing 2021 - General studies
The course takes place in period
- 1 (2021-08-01 to 2021-10-24)
- 2 (2021-10-25 to 2021-12-31)
Type of course
Cycle/level of course
Recommended year of study
Total number of ECTS
The aim of the course is to
- equip students with the academic writing
needed to succeed in writing the thesis.
- further develop both written and spoken
professional communication skills.
At the end of the course the student is
- be able to understand, interpret and explain
both terminology and content related to the
without major difficulty.
- to display an ability to understand also
complex spoken language on matters regularly
encountered at work.
- be able to participate confidently in
service interactions in English.
- to have enhanced the ability to participate
social communication in a professional setting.
- to have enhanced the ability to participate
discussions also on more complex topics.
- be able to prepare and deliver a presentation
of professional interest with effective use of
tools, e.g. PowerPoint.
- to demonstrate the ability to produce
key professional documents, including reports,
work applications & CVs.
- be able to correctly structure a written
academic report and apply the principles of
- be able to write in stylistically appropriate
and grammatically correct English.
- be able to incorporate source material and
sources in the text correctly with a
corresponding List of References.
- be able to apply Arcada's guidelines provided
in the Thesis Guide to produce a technically
well-presented and structured written project
Social contacts, discussions, your place of work,
work ethics, presentations, writing techniques
(language and style), citing sources and listing
references, current articles related to nursing
Prerequisites and co-requisites
Skill level B2 (Common European Framework)
Due dates are firm!
Recommended or required reading
One of a selection of novels (decided on first
Other materials provided by lecturer.
- Lectures - 30 hours
- Individual- and group instruction - 5 hours
- Practical exercises - 5 hours
- Project- and production work/artistic activities - 25 hours
- Individual studies - 40 hours
- Internet-based studies - 15 hours
- - 15 hours
- Total workload of the course: 135 hours
- Of which autonomous studies: 135 hours
- Of which scheduled studies: 0 hours
Mode of Delivery
Participation in tuition
- Demonstrations and proficiency exams
- Essays, reports, productions and portfolio
To pass the course the student should fulfil
- Sufficient activity.
- Write a report using the correct structure.
- Produce a well-structured paper.
- Hold a presentation.
- Produce a work application & CV suitable to
Further smaller written assignments may be
included as needed.
The examinations contribute to the final grade
Written assignments according to extent of
assignment up to 25% each.
Reading comprehension up to 20%.
At least one oral presentation must be held in
order to pass the course.
Attendance up to 20% and is graded accordingly:
Home page of the course
No limit (23 students enrolled)
Assignments valid until
12 months after course has ended
Course enrolment period
2021-08-09 to 2021-09-05
- Date will be announced later - Demonstrations and presentations
- Date will be announced later - Reports and productions
|2021-08-27||09:00 - 11:00||Professional English for Nursing||ONLINE; zoom-link will be published on itslearning.||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2021-08-30||10:00 - 12:00||Professional English for Nursing||ONLINE; zoom-link will be published on itslearning.||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2021-09-06||09:00 - 11:00||Professional English for Nursing||ONLINE; zoom-link will be published on itslearning.||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2021-09-15||09:00 - 11:00||Professional English for Nursing||ONLINE; zoom-link will be published on itslearning.||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2021-09-16||13:00 - 14:00||English drop-in support||https://arcada.zoom.us/j/8401092702||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2021-09-20||10:00 - 12:00||D4106||Professional English for Nursing||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2021-09-21||10:00 - 12:00||Professional English for Nursing||ONLINE||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2021-09-28||10:00 - 12:00||Professional English for Nursing||ONLINE||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2021-09-30||09:00 - 10:00||English drop-in support||https://arcada.zoom.us/j/8401092702||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2021-10-05||10:00 - 12:00||B522||Professional English for Nursing||ONLINE||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2021-10-06||09:00 - 11:00||B522||Professional English for Nursing||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2021-10-11||09:00 - 11:00||Professional English for Nursing||ONLINE||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2021-10-14||13:00 - 14:00||English drop-in support||https://arcada.zoom.us/j/8401092702||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2021-10-25||09:00 - 12:00||B522||Professional English for Nursing||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2021-11-02||08:00 - 09:30||B517||Professional English for Nursing||Presentations||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2021-11-02||09:30 - 11:00||B517||Professional English for Nursing||Presentations||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2021-11-02||11:00 - 12:30||B517||Professional English for Nursing||Presentations||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2021-11-02||12:30 - 14:00||B517||Professional English for Nursing||Presentations||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2021-11-04||09:00 - 10:00||English drop-in support||https://arcada.zoom.us/j/8401092702||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2021-11-10||09:00 - 10:00||English drop-in support||https://arcada.zoom.us/j/8401092702||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2021-11-18||09:00 - 10:00||English drop-in support||https://arcada.zoom.us/j/8401092702||Ray Jan-Anders|