The course is included in these curricula and study modules


Professional studies

Teaching language


Type of course


Recommended year of study


Total number of ECTS

5 cr

Competency aims

To apply Fluid Mechanics theory in common engineering applications.

Learning outcomes

At the end of the course the student should be able to:

-Calculate pressure differences in manometers.
-Calculate forces of fluids on inclined and curved surfaces.
-Use the momentum equation to calculate the forces applied to nozzles and plates by the flow of fluids.
-Use the Bernoulli equation in calculating the pressure in internal flow systems.
-Calculate the head loss in internal flow systems.
-Calculate the rate of work of pumps and turbines.
-Use Comsol software to analyze the flow of fluids using the Navier Stokes equation (students can obtain their own version of Comsol for home use).
-Apply rheology to the manufacturing of plastics.

Course contents

Introduction and Fundamental concepts
Fluid Statics
Control Volumes
Incompressible Flow and Bernoulli Equation
Momentum Equation
Internal Flow and Head Loss
Work and Power
Comsol Multiphysics Software version 3.5

Prerequisites and co-requisites


Previous course names


Additional information

Recommended or required reading

The course is based on chapters 1-8 (excluding 5) of Introduction to Fluid Mechanics by Fox and McDonald (5th Edition).

Obtain the course notes and tutorials from: External link

Study activities

  • Lectures - 30 hours
  • Exercise based learning - 30 hours
  • Laboratory lessons and tasks in a simulated environment - 10 hours
  • Project work and productions - 20 hours
  • Individual studies - 40 hours


  • Total workload of the course: 130 hours
  • Of which autonomous studies: 60 hours
  • Of which scheduled studies: 70 hours

Mode of Delivery

Participation in tuition

Assessment methods

  • Exams
  • Reports and productions

Assessment requirements

In order to be eligible for the exam you must participate in the assignments. Students may be removed from the course enrolment list before the exam where no participation in the course has been demonstrated. The re-exam is only for 70% of the course. The other 30% is based on the compulsory assignments.


Vihtonen Mathew

Group size

No limit

Assignments valid until

Until date 2009-04-07

Assessment methods

  • 2009-04-07 - Exams
  • Date will be announced later - Reports and productions

Course and curriculum search