The course is included in these curricula and study modules
- Film and tv 2013 (producing films) - Media analysis and critique
- Film and tv 2013 (scriptwriting and directing) - Media analysis and critique
- Film and tv 2013 (cinematography and editing) - Media analysis and critique
- Film and tv 2013 (sound and music) - Media analysis and critique
- Film and tv 2013 (online media) - Media analysis and critique
Type of course
Cycle/level of course
Recommended year of study
Total number of ECTS
The aim of the course is to bring forward some important concepts within media- and culture studies. The student should be aware of the connections between visual media performances and the various possibilities to interpretation of these media texts.
At the end of the course the student is expected to be able to discuss some focal concepts related to media and culture studies. During the course we will problematize concepts like gender, ethnicity, participation. Contemporary media performances and media rituals underline the need for understanding the future media professional's role and responsibility in the creation and distribution of various media texts.
The course entails lectures, analysis assignments and a short film production that reflects the themes of the course. The purpose is to understand the very many ways to a) produce new media content and to b) to analyze and c) intepret the consequences of various visual media performances.
Prerequisites and co-requisites
Previous course names
Recommended or required reading
Images and communities, The visual construction of the Social Stocchetti, Matteo & Sumiala-Seppänen, Johanna (ed.), Gaudeamus, 2007. Mediayhteiskunta. Seppänen, Janne & Väliverronen, Janne. vastapaino, 2013.
- Lectures - 50 hours
- Individual- and group instruction - 35 hours
- Individual studies - 33 hours
- Seminars - 15 hours
- Total workload of the course: 133 hours
- Of which autonomous studies: 133 hours
- Of which scheduled studies: 0 hours
Mode of Delivery
Participation in tuition
To pass the course the student should pass the following examinations: Examination 1: 80% attendance Examination 2: analyze a visual media presentation Examination 3: produce a short film on the themes discussed on the course The examinations contribute to the final grade as follows: ...
Home page of the course
Assignments valid until
Until further notice