Here you can find some of the most common questions about accreditation and the application process.
1. Where do I turn in the application?
2. Do I have to fill out the course name in English even though I took the course in another language than English?
Yes. This information is needed in order for Arcada to give you a complete transcript of records when you graduate. All univesities in Finland should have official course names in English. Please contact the institution you have taken the course in and find out the name of the course. However, if the course does not have an official English name you can independently translate it on your own.
3. What kind of documents do I need for the application?
If you are applying for accreditation of courses:
- Official transcript of records/certificate/education
- Course description (competences, teaching goals, content, educational material etc)
If you are applying for accreditation of work experience you must attach the following:
- Work certificate
4. I am applying for extension studies. Who is the examiner?
The examiner for extension studies is always the Degree Programme Director.
5. What is the course name if I want the course to be accredited as extension studies?
You can simply write "extension studies".
6. Do I have to attach course descriptions for courses completed at Arcada?
7. Do I have to turn in one (1) application per course if I have completed a degree from Arcada and want multiple courses from that degree to be accredited?
Probably not. If you have many courses from a completed degree from Arcada that you wish to have accredited, you do not need to apply for them separately. Please contact your amanuensis to make a personal study plan. Attach this study plan to one (1) application. The examiner for this application is the Degree Programme Director. Do remember to separately apply for language courses - the examiner for all language courses is in this case Ulrika Rancken (Head of Language Department).
8. Do I have to turn in one (1) application per course if I have completed a degree from another university (not Arcada) and want multiple courses from that degree to be accedited?
Probably. Please contact your amanuensis to make a personal study plan. Attach this study plan to one (1) application. The examiner for this application is the Degree Programme Director. Do remember to separately apply for language courses - course by course. There is a possibility that you might have to apply separately for certain courses or practical work experience. Information regarding this will be given during the discussion with your amanuensis.
9. Do I need to fill out the accreditation form if I only want part of a course accredited?
If you have a certain competence that corresponds to only a certain part of a course you do not need to apply for accreditation. Instead, contact the examiner of the course. They will assess what you need to do in order to meet the course requirements. The course is completed as a whole and is registered as a study attainment at Arcada. In some cases the examiner wants you to fill out the accreditation form, for example language courses always need to be applied for with the accreditation form. This is why it is always beneficial to first contact the examiner before filling out the form.
10. I am an Open student. Can I apply for accreditation?
If you are a student at the Open UAS you cannot apply for accreditation, because accreditations are only approved within degree studies. However, if you are studying at the open path working towards a degree you can apply for accreditation whenever you are admitted to the programme as a degree student. Still, it is important to discuss the courses and possible accreditation with your amanuensis so your personal study plan can be planned with this information in mind.
11. Can I apply for accreditation of studies that I do not need in order to graduate?
No. Only studies needed for the degree can be accredited.