The application process consists of several steps decribed on this page.
The application is open twice a year. Apply in January/February if you want to study abroad during the autumn semester or during the whole academic year and in September if you want to study abroad during the spring semester.
For exchange in autumn 2020 or the whole academic year 2020/2021: 16.1.2020-16.2.2020
Prepare yourself for your exchange application
How to start
- check out the recommended time for going on exchange
- read our requirements for studying abroad
- find out about exchange opportunities in our partner institution database.
- Once you know to which one or max two universities you wish to apply for exchange, you can start preparing the attachments for your application. See paragraph 3 under Application – step by step lower down the page. Make the Preliminary Learning Agreement in good time. It is only required for the first option in your application. Find out more about choice of courses and learning agreement.
We organize information sessions about the exchange application process in September and January before the application deadline. Date and time are informed here in Start.
The presentation from the information sessions, 'How to apply for studies abroad spring 2020', can be found at the bottom of this page.
Application - step by step
You must apply for exchange through the MoveOn online application portal (active only during the application period)
This is how you apply
1. Create an account in the MoveOn online application portal preferably already in an early stage of the application period. Use your Arcada e-mail address. The password needs to be at least 8 characters long and include at least one number and one special character.
2. Read the instructions and fill in your application in MoveOn at your own pace. You can save it and continue at a later time during the application period. You can make changes in the application before submitting the final version.
3. Upload all the documents as pdf-files.
- A preliminary Learning Agreement (study plan). This form needs to be signed by your Degree Programme Director.
- A motivation letter (In English or in Swedish. Max. one A4 sheet. Describe why you want to go on exchange and what are your study and career related goals for the exchange. Hand in to your Degree programme together with the Learning Agreement before uploading) N.B! Students in business can directly upload their motivation letter without handing it in to the responsible person at the degree programme).
- A language certificate, if the appropriate language courses are not in your list of study achievements. You can however submit your application to us also without a certificate. You have to fulfill the language requirements of the host institution when you submit your application to the host institution or when the study period abroad begins (depending on the host institution's requirements).
- A certificate from ASK, if you have been an i-tutor
4. Click submit once you have completed the application. Remember that you cannot make any changes after submitting the application.
From now on, please read your Arcada e-mail before, during and after the exchange period to make sure that you receive all the necessary information!
What happens after I have submitted my application and what is the selection process?
You will receive an answer within 2-5 weeks after the application deadline. We will contact you if something is unclear. We will process all applications after the application period. If we receive more applications than available exchange places we will rank the applications. Selection criteria:
- success in studies: Points will be handed out according to the average grade. (Maximum 5 points)
- motivation and study and career related goals for the exchange.
strong motivation and clear goals (4 points)
strong motivation but not clear goals/clear goals but not strong motivation (2 points)
neither strong motivation or clear goals (0 points)
- Active as i-tutor: tutor certificate of proven activity (1 point). If no certificate (0 points)
Selected students will be nominated for exchange
After the selection process we will officially nominate the students for exchange. The decision of nomination will be sent to your Arcada email address. After you have been nominated for exchange and after you have received email from us, you can start the application process to the host institution.
We will also organize two pre-departure trainings where students who have been nominated for exchange get more practical information about the exchange process as well as cultural training. Nominated students will get an email invitation to these pre-departure trainings.
Application to the partner institution
Different institutions have different application processes and deadlines and therefore you should find out how the application process to your host institution goes as soon as you have been nominated. Most of the universities have information about their application process for exchange students on their website.You are responsible for sending the application and all the required documents on time to the host institution. The host university will make the final decision on the admission of the nominated students.