What is a Double Degree?

An international double degree is a form of cooperation between two higher education institutions. Both institutions have their own curricula and students complete an agreed amount of their degree abroad at the partner institution and obtain a degree from both institutions. The double degree should be completed within the timeframe of one’s study right.

The agreement is made with partner institutions that can offer a deeper understanding of some of the competences required when graduating from Arcada. The content of the studies are carefully compared and agreed on. This is to make sure that the studies completed during the exchange bring qualitative added value to both of the degrees obtained.

Where can I do this?

Arcada has three Double degree agreements in business.

One with Frankfurt University of Applied Sciences in Germany,

One with UCL University College in Odense, Denmark

and one with Ostbayerische Technische Hochschule Regensburg

The studies will run in English in Frankfurt and in Regensburg. In Odense the studies are mainly in English, but some lectures will be held in Danish.

UCL University College, offers courses in Financial Management. Frankfurt University of Applied Sciences offers an international module in Business. Ostbayerische Technische Hochschule Regensburg offers studies in European business.

Who can apply?

Bachelor students in business can do a Double degree in Frankfurt or Regensburg during their second study year. A Double degree at UCL University College should be done during the third year of studies.

How to apply?

Follow the instructions for the application for ‘normal’ studies abroad in start. Choose double degree when filling in the application form for studies abroad.

The Double degree programme

The minimum period of stay at the host university in order to obtain both degrees is one academic year worth 60 ECTS.

The Double Degree with UCL University College also include a practical placement worth 30 ECTS. The credits are part of the 210 cr degree at Arcada. The practical placement can be done in Denmark or in Finland.

The Double Degree with Ostbayerische Technische Hochschule Regensburg also include a practical placement worth 30 ECTS. The practical placement can be done in Germany or in Finland. The credits are additional to the 210 cr degree at Arcada. Students taking this Double Degree will have a total of 240 credits when graduating from Arcada.

For more information regarding the courses, please contact the amanuensis at your department.


The double degree exchanges will be completed within the Erasmus program. The students completing a Double degree have the same rights and obligations as other Erasmus exchange students at Arcada and can apply for an Erasmus grant.

After the exchange

The student will receive a Transcript of Records from the host institution. The courses obtained will be registered at Arcada.

Upon graduation - Students at Arcada:

  • The student informs the Study Coordinators at Student Affairs that he/she has completed a Double Degree when applying for the degree certificate at Arcada
  • The Study Coordinators scan copies of the degree certificate (including transcript of records and Diploma Supplement) to the personnel at the International Affairs at the other UAS
  • The other UAS sends their degree certificate together with a Diploma Supplement to the student
  • It will be visible in the Arcada degree certificate and Diploma Supplement that the student has done a Double Degree

For more information regarding the courses, please contact your degree program. For other questions regarding studies abroad, please contact International Affairs through E-mail: international@arcada.fi

Upon graduation - Students from another UAS

In order for you to receive your degree certificate from Arcada, please contact the international coordinator at your own UAS in order for her/him to scan the following documents to us (E-mail: studentaffairs@arada.fi):


  • Degree certificate
  • Transcript of records
  • Diploma Supplement
  • Certificate of Study (or something similar stating the start- och the end date of your studies and information about periods of presence or absence)
  • Contact information (home address, phone number)

When we have received the scanned documents, we write the degree certificate to you and mail the certificate directly to the stated address stated in the e-mail. In addition, we also send a scanned copy of the degree certificate to your own UAS as well.