If you as a degree student choose not to become a member of Arcada´s Student Union ASK you have the right to receive student discount application tickets for HSL, VR and Matkahuolto. With the Kela Meal Subsidy Card, you are entitled to discounted student cafeteria meals. The card can be picked up from C3. However, we do recommend you to order or download the student card in order to facilitate your everyday life as student.
Please note that you do not need any of these discount ticket applications or certificates if you become a member of the student union. Information on how to become a member and get the student card is found here. In addition, please read more about Arcada´s student union ASK here.
HSL (Helsingin seudun liikenne)
Full-time students living in the HSL area can purchase reduced rate Travel Card tickets (discount group 2) under certain conditions. Please note that master students are not entitled to this discount ticket unless you are a member of the student union ASK.
The HSL-area comprises of Helsinki, Kauniainen, Kirkkonummi, Espoo, Vantaa, Kerava and Sipoo. The discount is applicable to regional season and value tickets as well as internal season and value tickets. The discount is 50 per cent.
The discount entitlement is stored on the Travel Card at a service point when the card is purchased. The discount entitlement must be renewed annually.
Students who meet the following criteria are entitled to the student discount:
- The student lives permanently in the HSL area.
- The student is studying in a Finnish comprehensive school, upper secondary high school, folk high school, vocational school, university of applied sciences or university.
- The student is studying on a full-time basis with at least 25 study hours per week, or in multimodal learning at least 60% of the total study time must be contact teaching. This requirement is not fulfilled regarding Arcada´s Master degree programmes which means that our Master students are not entitled to HSL´s student discount unless they are a student union member.
- Under normal circumstances the studies lead to a qualification or degree
- The studies are estimated to take at least one school/academic year. The school/academic year must be at least 8 months, for example from September to May.
- The student is over 17 years of age.
- All students aged 30 years or over and those studying in liberal adult education programs in folk high schools must prove that either Kela or the provincial government of Åland has granted them student allowance or rehabilitation subsidy (accepted forms of student allowance are study grants and/or government guarantees for student loans).
Discount is not granted to:
- Postgraduate students of universities studying for a licentiate's or doctor's degree. The degree of Licentiate in Medicine is a basic university degree, and medical students are thus entitled to the discount.
- Students over 30 years of age whose financial aid consists only of a housing supplement or who receive other financial aid than student allowance or rehabilitation subsidy from Kela (for example, job alternation compensation, training subsidy, training allowance or adult education allowance granted by the Education Fund).
Please read more about the HSL student discount here.
As a student studying in Finland you get a discount on train tickets if you have a temporary certificate of student status (valid 3 months). Please note that master students are not entitled to this discount ticket unless you are a member of the student union ASK.
To get a student discount you must fulfil the following criteria:
- You are a full-time student and without pay at a university, college, polytechnic, vocational institution or high school and are not an official on permanent appointment or in a comparable employment relationship
- You are studying a basic degree and have not completed a master's degree
- The duration of your studies is at least eight months of uninterrupted study
- The educational institution is under public supervision
- Over 60% of the total study time must be contact teaching for students engaged in distance, blended, or some sort of multiform education. This requirement is not fulfilled regarding Arcada´s Master degree programmes which means that our Master students are not entitled to VR´s student discount unless they are a student union member.
Foreign students in Finland
Foreign nationals studying in Finland are entitled to a student discount provided that they are eligible for the student discount.
Exchange students studying in Finland also have the right to a student discount
- If they study at a Finnish educational institution within the discount system
- Even if the studies last less than 8 months
Please read more about VR´s student discounts here.
Students are eligible for the discount upon presentation of a student identity card issued by Matkahuolto or by showing a student card with the Matkahuolto logo printed on the card. Please note that master students are not entitled to this discount ticket unless you are a member of the student union ASK.
Conditions for student discount
Eligible for the student discount are students who are:
- Studying in Finland or Finnish students who study abroad and receive financial aid from the Social Insurance Institute of Finland (Kela) or adult education allowance granted by the Education Fund;
- Studying on a full-time basis;
- Studying for a continuous period of 8 months per year;
- Not receiving any daily allowance or pay for their studies;
- Not receiving any income from any government position, job or entrepreneurial activities.
Students not entitled to a student discount are students who are
- Studying in the evenings or on distance-learning or mixed programmes in which classroom education accounts for less than 60% of the total tuition. This requirement is not fulfilled regarding Arcada´s Master degree programmes which means that our Master students are not entitled to Matkahuolto´s student discount unless they are a student union member. .
- Post-graduate students at universities and those who already have degrees
Getting a Matkahuolto student identity card
Students may obtain the student identity card issued by Matkahuolto from all Matkahuolto service points and those Matkahuolto agents that sell tickets. The application for the card requires one passport photo and a Matkahuolto student certificate that can be printed out online or picked up at a Matkahuolto service point. Before being submitted with the application, the completed Matkahuolto student certificate must be verified by the place of study (Student Affairs verifies the certificate at Arcada). Please read more about Matkahuolto´s student discounts here.