Arcada's computer rooms are located in the blocks D3, E3, F3 and the library. You can use the facilities when they are not booked for classes.
You can find a list of software used in the computer labs here.
You can also log in remotely to the computers at Arcada through remote desktop connection. More information can be found here: VPN tunnel with SecurePoint
Arcada’s IT-support assists you with all your IT-related questions.
Your own device and software
We recommend that students in the Department of Energy and Materials Technology have their own laptops for the studies. This is however only a recommendation and it is possible to finish your studies even without your own computer.
As a student at Arcada you can get some software for free or for discounted student price. You can find a list of the software for your own computer in IT-support, Software.
In case you want to buy a new computer for your studies the department recommends the following.
- a laptop that runs Windows 10. Some of the programs that are used in the courses do not work on Macbooks.
- Recommended minimum memory 8GB (advanced use of Solidworks needs more memory).
- Graphics card should support DirectX 11 and OpenGL 4 (or above)
- Battery life should be at least 4 hours.
- WLAN standard 802.11ac (Wi-Fi 5) or better
- Full HD screen
You can check the system requirements for the programs Solidworks and AutoCad below.