Qualifications after graduation
- General competences
- Degree specific competences
- Official language competence
You can find out about general competences and language competence in the section competences.
Degree specific competences
The education provides you with the following degree specific competences:
- Knowledge of the operating area of culture
- Business management knowledge within culture production
- Managing of production processes
Descriptions of the degree specific competences
Knowledge of the operating area of culture
- know the current trends and historical background of culture and different art genres
- are able to identify and analyse cultural phenomena and your personal relationship to them
- have an insight into the professional field of culture and are able to follow it through media, studies and current debate
- are familiar with the structures of cultural politics and administration and are able to operate within them
- understand the operating forms within the public, third and the administrative and business sectors and are able to perceive central lines of development in these sectors
- can analyse and develop your own professional identity as a cultural manager
Business management knowledge within culture production
- master financial planning, budgeting and budget follow-up as well as are familiar with legislation governing these
- are able to plan the financing of the culture product as well as realise the financing
- master the basics of marketing and communication from the perspective of a cultural manager
- are familiar with profitable and commercial productification within the creative field
Managing of production processes
- are able to handle innovation processes and concept development
- can create multi-professional networks of actors and organise and manage production processes in the culture field
- are familiar with the stages of project planning and –realisation and the principles for organising them in the cultural field
- are familiar with the judicial base of cultural productions and can apply them in production assignments
- have an insight into the required communication and media skills for the cultural fields
- are familiar with stage- and production technology as well as fundamental media technology and are able to apply them in production assignments
- are able to study and develop the various phases of the production process
Placement in working life/Career prospects
As a cultural manager you can work in the culture field in Finland and abroad, and you are able to work across the sector divisions on e.g. marketing agencies, game developers, sporting events, cruise ships or with applied art on homes for senior citizens. You can work with festival- and event productions, the music field, art and culture exports, communication and design in cultural organisations, municipalities, the open field or as cultural entrepreneur.
The art- and culture field also has many areas of contact to other sectors in society and political decision-making. This means that cultural managers also work with e.g. creative trades, innovation systems, culture exports, employment, technological applications, environmental protection, societal and city planning, crisis management, demographics, minority issues, cultural diversity, prevention of segregation, customs and traditions, food culture and hybrid art.
The most common titles in the market for a cultural manager are:
- Cultural Manager
- Production Assistant
- Event Producer
Should you like to continue your studies after achieving your bachelor’s degree, there are several possibilities. You might choose to carry on at a university with master’s degree studies or, after a few years’ work experience, continue studying for a master’s degree at Arcada or another University of Applied Sciences. In the labour market a master’s degree from a UAS corresponds to a master’s degree from a university.
Arcada offers master’s degree studies in e.g. Media Management.
If you after that wish to take yet another step you might after a master’s degree continue with licentiate or doctoral studies at a university.