The course is included in these curricula and study modules
The course takes place in period
3 (2023-01-01 to 2023-03-19)
Type of course
Cycle/level of course
Recommended year of study
Total number of ECTS
You can function professionally in your own field
in English, as well as for academic purposes. You
can demonstrate relatively fluent oral and written
English in routine profession-related situations,
and you are able to adapt your language to varying
communication situations. You have the tools and
conditions to develop your communication skills.
You can use English to enhance study skills in
other professional subjects and to promote a
greater understanding of your professional area.
To achieve this, you need to have a proficiency of
at least B1.1 in English according to the CEFR
After completing the study unit, you have
- your industry language and know how to develop
- academic writing, reference system and report
and ability to:
- tell about your own industry, your education and
your work experience in both speech and text.
- collaborate relatively fluently in customer
service and discussions.
- understand the main points in spoken standard
language about familiar topics.
- write basic typical documents for the industry
and academic text in English.
- follow the language's most important norms and
etiquette in speech and writing.
Lectures and coursework tasks in:
- CV writing and work applications ?
identify, formulate and express competencies and
- academic writing and referencing ? writing
techniques, style and structure.
- discussions on selected texts to
illustrate language forms in context as well as to
- preparation and delivery of oral
presentations on topics of business interest.
- professional writing ? email, letters,
Prerequisites and co-requisites
Competence level B 1.1 (Common European Framework)
Previous course names
SP-1-086 English SI, pre-2021-2022
Recommended or required reading
One of a selection of novels (decided on first
Other materials provided by lecturer.
- Lectures - 20 hours
- Practical exercises - 2 hours
- Project- and production work/artistic activities - 40 hours
- Individual studies - 40 hours
- Internet-based studies - 33 hours
- Total workload of the course: 135 hours
- Of which autonomous studies: 135 hours
- Of which scheduled studies: 0 hours
Mode of Delivery
Participation in tuition
- Demonstrations and proficiency exams
- Essays, reports, productions and portfolio
To pass the course the student should pass the
Examination 1: Continuous evaluation of coursework
exercises and tasks.
Examination 2: Write an effective job application
with an introductory letter and associated CV.
Examination 3: Write an analysis or a summary of a
topic related to your own field.
Examination 4: Hold a formal presentation on a
topic related to your own area.
Examination 5: Write a structured report on a
topic related to your own field or learning.
Home page of the course
No limit (17 students enrolled)
Assignments valid until
Until further notice
Course enrolment period
2022-12-26 to 2023-01-22
- Date will be announced later - Demonstrations and presentations
- Date will be announced later - Reports and productions
|2023-01-10||10:00 - 12:00||B522||English Professional Communication II||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2023-01-12||10:00 - 12:00||B522||English Professional Communication II||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2023-01-18||10:00 - 12:00||B522||English Professional Communication II||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2023-01-19||08:00 - 10:00||B522||English Professional Communication II||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2023-01-25||10:00 - 12:00||B522||English Professional Communication II||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2023-02-01||10:00 - 12:00||B516||English Professional Communication II||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2023-02-08||10:00 - 12:00||B522||English Professional Communication II||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2023-02-14||08:00 - 10:00||B522||English Professional Communication II||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2023-02-27||13:00 - 15:00||B522||English Professional Communication II||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2023-03-09||10:00 - 11:30||B517||English Professional Communication II||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2023-03-09||11:30 - 13:00||B517||English Professional Communication II||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2023-03-09||13:00 - 14:30||B517||English Professional Communication II||Ray Jan-Anders|