The course is included in these curricula and study modules
Type of course
Cycle/level of course
Recommended year of study
Total number of ECTS
In this study unit the focus lies on the following
- health promotion and disease prevention work for families with children
- examination and follow-up of pregnancy; assessment and follow-up of the child's (0-7 years) growth, development, vision and hearing
-guidance on the most common health issues for the pregnant woman and her family as well as children 0-7 years and their families
- vaccination of children 0-7 years old;
- identification with one's own professional category and the construction of a health-promoting mindset
- ability to take responsibility and ethical attitude when dealing with clients and in cooperation with the work team
- punctuality, reliability and ability to cooperate
-students have insight into the health promotion and methods of disease prevention
-students know the literature and the latest research findings concerning the pregnant woman and her family and children 0-7 years and their families
-students demonstrate initiative; independence and the ability to plan their work
-students can perform examinations and follow-up of pregnancy
-students can perform assessment and follow-up of the child's (0-7 years) growth, development, vision and hearing
- Students can guide in the most common health questions for the pregnant woman
the woman and her family and children aged 0-7 years, and their families
- Students can vaccinate children 0-7 years old
-students strive to identify with their own professional category and have embraced a health promotion and disease prevention way of thinking
-students demonstrate responsibility and ethical view in the treatment of clients and in cooperation with the work team;
-students demonstrate punctuality, reliability, and collaborative skills
7 weeks practical training on combined maternal/child counseling or 3 weeks practical training at maternity counseling and 4 weeks at child counseling
Prerequisites and co-requisites
Completed basic studies, theory and practice.
Passed participation in exercises and simulation in
Pregnancy and health as well as Families with children and health are
prerequisite to begin practical training.
In addition, the vice rector's decision 6/2020 on
sufficient language skills in Swedish and Finnish
when an practical training is to be booked.
The work schedules are made according to the supervisor's and the unit's planning. 38h/week in possible shift work.
The practical training assignment is submitted on itslearning.
Reporting of hours worked and the evaluation should be submitted to itslearning.
Vaccination certificates and assessment of infectious diseases are followed according to standard directives and the welfare area's requirements.
In addition, the pro rector's decision 6/2020 on sufficient language skills in Swedish and Finnish applies when a practical training is to be booked.
Medication calculation exam completed no later than 2 weeks before the start of the practical training or according to the examiner's requirements.
Recommended or required reading
The same as the theory study units as well as processes and directives at the training set.
Practical training - 270 hours
- Total workload of the course: 270 hours
- Of which autonomous studies: 270 hours
- Of which scheduled studies: 0 hours
Mode of Delivery
Participation in tuition
To pass the course the student should have: Submitted and approved personal goals and of the practical training supervisor approved traineeship (submitted evaluation form)
Submitted and approved assignment and self-evaluation
Home page of the course
Assignments valid until
Until further notice