The course is included in these curricula and study modules
- Social services 2013 - Common general studies
- Social services 2014 - General studies
- Social services 2015 - General studies
- Social services 2016 - General studies
- Social services 2017 - General studies
- Social services 2018 - General studies
- Social services 2019 - General studies
- Social services (multiform learning) 2019 - General studies
The course takes place in period
2 (2019-10-28 to 2019-12-31)
Type of course
Cycle/level of course
Recommended year of study
Total number of ECTS
The aim of the course is:
- to improve spoken fluency in routine customer-
service situations in the field.
- to develop the student?s ability to interpret
and comprehend authentic English text.
- to develop fluency in both spoken and written
language for various purposes, with focus on the
field of study.
At the end of the course the student is expected
- be able to understand, interpret, and explain
terminology related to social care without major
- have developed his/her reading skills and
acquired essential vocabulary to support
communication in a professional context.
- be able to understand the main points of
standard speech on familiar matters regularly
encountered at work, in school, at leisure.
- to give clear, rather detailed descriptions
about services or processes, can give
instructions to clients.
- be able to interact with native speakers with a
high degree of fluency in customer-service,
negotiations and debates.
- be able to give their personal details, relate
their education and work experience.
- be able to write a letter of application and CV
in an appropriate style.
- be familiar with e-mail and business writing
- be able to produce fundamental for the field
Social contacts, your place of work, work ethics,
current articles related to the field, collecting
Prerequisites and co-requisites
Skill level B1.1 (Common European Framework)
Previous course names
SO-1-003 (0) English (5 cr)
Recommended or required reading
One of the following novels:
Look Me in The Eye, John Robinson
My Stroke of Insight, Jill Bolte Taylor
Thinking in Pictures,Temple Grandin
Left Neglected, Lisa Genova
As We Are Now, Mary Sarton
Still Alice, Lisa Genova
So Many Everests, Victoria & Diana Webster
Materials provided by lecturer
- Lectures - 22 hours
- Excursions and demonstrations - 12 hours
- Project- and production work/artistic activities - 20 hours
- Individual studies - 60 hours
- Internet-based studies - 20 hours
- Total workload of the course: 134 hours
- Of which autonomous studies: 134 hours
- Of which scheduled studies: 0 hours
Mode of Delivery
Participation in tuition
- Demonstrations and proficiency exams
- Essays, reports, productions and portfolio
To pass the course the student should pass the
Examination 1 Activity (exercises and classes).
Examination 2 Write a report using the correct
Examination 3 Produce a well-structured summary
Examination 4 Hold a presentation.
Examination 5 Produce a work application & CV
suitable to the field.
Further smaller oral and written assignments may
be included as needed.
The examinations contribute to the final grade as
Written assignments according to extent of
assignment up to 25% each.
At least one oral presentation must be held in
order to pass the course.
Activity up to 20% and is graded accordingly:
Home page of the course
No limit (39 students enrolled)
Assignments valid until
12 months after course has ended
Course enrolment period
2019-10-14 to 2019-11-10
- Date will be announced later - Demonstrations and presentations
- Date will be announced later - Reports and productions
|2019-10-28||10:00 - 12:00||B522||Engelska (SO 1-7)||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2019-10-30||10:00 - 12:00||B522||Engelska (SO 1-7)||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2019-11-04||10:00 - 12:00||B522||Engelska (SO 1-7)||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2019-11-06||08:15 - 10:00||B522||Engelska (SO 1-7)||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2019-11-11||10:00 - 12:00||B522||Engelska (SO 1-7)||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2019-11-13||10:00 - 12:00||B522||Engelska (SO 1-7)||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2019-11-25||12:00 - 14:00||B522||Engelska (SO 1-7)||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2019-11-27||10:00 - 12:00||B516||Engelska (SO 1-7)||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2019-12-02||10:00 - 12:00||B522||Engelska (SO 1-7)||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2019-12-04||10:00 - 12:00||B522||Engelska (SO 1-7)||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2019-12-11||10:00 - 11:30||B517||Engelska (SO 1-7)||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2019-12-11||11:30 - 13:00||B517||Engelska (SO 1-7)||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2019-12-11||13:00 - 14:30||B517||Engelska (SO 1-7)||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2019-12-17||10:00 - 11:30||B517||Engelska (SO 1-7)||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2019-12-17||11:30 - 13:00||B517||Engelska (SO 1-7)||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2019-12-17||13:00 - 14:30||B517||Engelska (SO 1-7)||Ray Jan-Anders|