The course is included in these curricula and study modules
The course takes place in period
- 1 (2019-08-01 to 2019-10-27)
- 2 (2019-10-28 to 2019-12-31)
- 3 (2020-01-01 to 2020-03-22)
- 4 (2020-03-23 to 2020-07-31)
Type of course
Cycle/level of course
Recommended year of study
Total number of ECTS
A research seminar will be organized. The aim of the seminar is to provide the student feedback and guidance that will help him/her to finalize the thesis.
The student will have first hand experience of conducting applied research in media management.
The master's thesis project consists of a development project, possibly for a client or the student's employer, and a thesis report with key results of the development project. Students can start to develop the thesis project already in the beginning of the program. In the thesis seminar, the student is provided with guidance related to scientific writing and research methodology. Every student needs to make a seminar presentation and also to act as an opponent for a another presentation.
Prerequisites and co-requisites
See pre-assignments on itslearning.
Previous course names
The form of a Master Thesis in media management at Arcada is similar to a research article in communication studies. The length of such articles are 7000-10000 words. The thesis should at least include the following elements: 1) The relevance of the problem, 2) description of relationship to existing knowledge, 3) Research question or hypothesis, 4) description of research method, 5) Results and 6) Discussion.
Recommended or required reading
- students read and comment each others texts. - Every student will conduct a literature review for the thesis. - Bui, Yvonne N. (2014) How to write a master's thesis. SAGE. - Machi, Lawrence A. & McEvoy, Brenda T. (2012) The literature review: Six steps to success. - http://www.theseus.fi/handle/10024/426 - https://start.arcada.fi/sites/default/files/dokument/examensarbete/writing_guide_2014.pdf
- Individual- and group instruction - 0 hours
- Individual studies - 0 hours
- Seminars - 0 hours
- Total workload of the course: 0 hours
- Of which autonomous studies: 0 hours
- Of which scheduled studies: 0 hours
Mode of Delivery
Participation in tuition
- Demonstrations and proficiency exams
- Essays, reports, productions and portfolio
The thesis is examined by two examiners.
- Kelly Owen
- Nylund Mats
- Träskman Tomas
Home page of the course
No limit (19 students enrolled)
Assignments valid until
12 months after course has ended
Course enrolment period
2019-09-17 to 2019-12-31
- Date will be announced later - Demonstrations and presentations
- Date will be announced later - Reports and productions
|2019-09-25||16:30 - 20:00||B517||Master|
|2019-10-30||16:30 - 20:00||B517||Master|
|2019-12-11||16:30 - 20:00||B517||Master|
|2020-02-12||16:30 - 20:00||B517||Master|
|2020-03-18||16:30 - 20:00||B517||Master|
|2020-04-22||16:30 - 20:00||B517||Master|
|2020-05-13||16:30 - 20:00||B517||Master|