The course is included in these curricula and study modules
- Sports and health promotion 2011 - Pedagogics and instruction
- Sports and health promotion 2012 - Pedagogics and instruction
- Sports and health promotion 2013 - Pedagogics and instruction
- Sports and health promotion 2014 - Physical training and health
- Sports and healthpromotion 2015 - Physical training and health
- Sports and healthpromotion 2016 - Physical training and health
- Sports and healthpromotion 2017 - Physical training and health
- Sports and healthpromotion 2018 - Physical training and health
- Sports and healthpromotion 2019 - Physical training and health
- Sports and healthpromotion 2020 - Physical training and health
The course takes place in period
- 3 (2022-01-01 to 2022-03-13)
- 4 (2022-03-14 to 2022-07-31)
Type of course
Cycle/level of course
Recommended year of study
Total number of ECTS
The aim of the practice is that the student
learns to instruct adults' process for change
especially related to physical activity but also
related to other lifestyle factors. The student
can concentrate on the promotion of people's
health from health promotion's point of view or
development of athletes' performance from sports
training's point of view. The student can
examine the condition of the target groups in
the beginning of the process of change based on
that set relevant goals. Student can work
appropriately towards the clients' individual
goals by using relevant methods which support
the process of change. In addition, student can
follow up the process and development using
proper methods. Student can use different
communication styles and tools in order to reach
his/her own and client's goals. In addition,
student also learns to critically evaluate
his/her own work and the methods he/she uses.
The student can guide adults' behavioural change
The student can apply theories and methods in
health promotion and sports on an individual
The student can find out clients' situation using
relevant methods in the beginning and at the end
of the working period.
The student can set relevant goals for the
behavioural change process.
The student can plan and use suitable methods
(e.g. planning of physical training) based on
the physical tests and individual goals.
The student can communicate in an understandable
way (in writing, orally and visually) with the
help of different communication styles och
methods which suits for the target group and
The student knows how different values affect
individuals and can take that into account when
working with clients.
The student can evaluate his/her own skills and
attitudes and see his/her own needs for
The student can apply ethical professional
principles and work for safe work culture.
The student is responsible for his/her work and
The student can cooperate, work in groups and
work towards common goals.
- Behavioural change
- Lifestyle factors
- Health promotion activities for adults
- Fitness testing and training planning
- Individual / group instruction
Prerequisites and co-requisites
Sports coahing and fitness testing, Health and
sports psychology, Health communication,
training in sports didactics and pedagogy
Recommended or required reading
Use different literature during the practice, for
- Bompa & Haff. 2009. Periodization: Theory and
methodology of Training. 5th edition. Human
- Thompson, W.R., Gordon, N.F. & Pescatello, L.S.
- ACSM?s Guidelines for Exercise Testing and
Prescription. Eight Edition. Wolters Kluwer,
Williams & Wilkins.
- Dwyer, G.B. & Davis, S.E. (ed) 2005. ACSM?s
related Physical Fitness Assessment Manual.
Kluwer, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Biddle, S. J. H. & Mutrie, N. 2001. Psychology
Activity: Determinants, Well-Being and
- Ogden J. (2004) Health Psychology: A textbook.
Hill Education: Berkshire UK.
- Websites, e.g. www.kaypahoito.fi External link,
http://www.ukkinstituutti.fi External link.
- Practice info, planning and reporting of the practice, the practice presentation - 15 hours
- Practical training - 120 hours
- Total workload of the course: 135 hours
- Of which autonomous studies: 135 hours
- Of which scheduled studies: 0 hours
Mode of Delivery
Participation in tuition
Essays, reports, productions and portfolio
Planing of the practice
Working at the practice place (120 h)
Written rapport + evaluation and
participating and presentatin on a reflection
- Taskinen Topi
- Ruutu Katri
Home page of the course
No limit (32 students enrolled)
Assignments valid until
Until further notice
Course enrolment period
2021-08-25 to 2022-07-31
Date will be announced later - Reports and productions
|2021-09-13||13:00 - 16:00||B522||Praktikreflektion||Vaappo Marko|
|2021-12-16||09:00 - 12:00||A311||Praktikreflektion||Taskinen Topi|
|2022-03-14||13:00 - 16:00||A311||Praktikreflektion||Vaappo Marko|
|2022-04-28||12:15 - 15:00||M703||Praktik i träning och hälsa||Axel Åberg och Kasper Portin Praktik||Vaappo Marko|
|2022-04-28||12:15 - 15:00||M602||Praktik i träning och hälsa||Axel Åberg och Kasper Portin Praktik||Vaappo Marko|
|2022-05-24||09:00 - 12:00||A311||Praktikreflektion||Join Zoom Meeting https://arcada.zoom.us/j/66643480845||Törnblom Cia