The course is included in these curricula and study modules
- Care 2005 (nursing) - Clinical nursing 1
- Care 2005 (health care) - Clinical nursing 1
- Care 2004 (nurse) - Clinical care
- Care 2004 (public health care) - Clinical care
- Care 2004 (midwifery) - Clinical care
- Care 2006 (health care) - Clinical nursing 1
- Care 2006 (nursing) - Clinical nursing 1
- Care 2003 (midwifery) - Clinical care
- Care 2005 (midwifery) - Clinical nursing 1
- Care 2006 (midwifery) - Clinical nursing 1
- Care 2007 (nursing) - Clinical nursing 1
- Care 2007 (midwifery) - Clinical nursing 1
- Care 2007 (health care) - Clinical nursing 1
- Care 2008 (midwifery) - Clinical nursing 1
- Care 2008 (nursing) - Clinical nursing 1
- Care 2008 (health care) - Clinical nursing 1
Type of course
Recommended year of study
Total number of ECTS
The aim of the course is to introduce hygiene in hospitals and first aid in a way that make the student able to understand it in different care-settings and get abilities and methods to handle in such situations.
At the end of the course the student is expected to be able to: related to hygiene in hospitals
-understand the meaning of hygiene in patient care
-know the mode of transmission and prevention of common infections
-identify signs of infection and have knowledge of infection related diseases
-be familiar with occurrence, prevention and control of hospital related infections.
-understand the significance of using and master methods of hospital hygiene and aseptics in patient care.
Related to first aid
-make a survey of risk groups, situations and course of events in accidents
-participate in care related to attacks of illness, resuscitation and use of defibrillator
Significant concepts. The chain of infection and mode of transmission in hospital environment. Methods for asepsis and personal hygiene. Practice of hand washing and hygiene. Isolation as a method for safety. 4cr.
Theory and practice of first aid + resuscitation with defibrillator. 1cr
Prerequisites and co-requisites
Tutorials, skill trainings and seminars are compulsory.
Deadline for hygiene-groupwork 24.11.2008.
Planning for hygiene-seminars 26.11.2008.
Hygiene-seminars 2.12.2008 and 9.12.2008
Recommended or required reading
Hellsten, S. (red) 2005. Infektioiden torjunta sairaalassa Suomen kuntaliitto: 5.uudist.painos (valda delar) ISBN 951-755-977-1
Socialstyrelsen 2006. Att förebygga vårdrelaterade infektioner Ett kunskapsunderlag 1.upplagan(valda delar)ISBN 91-85482-14-5
Sahi T,Castren M,Kämäräinen L.2002.Första hjälpen. Helsingfors:Duodecim,Finlands röda kors. 1 uppl. 160s.ISBN 951-656-117-9
- Lectures - 40 hours
- Excursions and demonstrations - 8 hours
- Exercise based learning - 20 hours
- Tuition managed by students but supervised by the teacher - 12 hours
- Individual studies - 53 hours
- Total workload of the course: 133 hours
- Of which autonomous studies: 53 hours
- Of which scheduled studies: 80 hours
Mode of Delivery
Participation in tuition
- Reports and productions
- Lindqvist Johnny
- Rosenqvist Anita
Assignments valid until
12 months after course has ended
- 2008-12-16 - Exams
- 2008-11-24 - Reports and productions