The course is included in these curricula and study modules
The course takes place in period
4 (2020-03-23 to 2020-07-31)
Type of course
Cycle/level of course
Recommended year of study
Total number of ECTS
The aim of the course is:
- to improve spoken fluency in routine customer-
service situations in the field.
- to develop the student?s ability to interpret
and comprehend authentic English text.
- to develop fluency in both spoken and written
language for various purposes, with focus on the
field of study.
At the end of the course the student is expected
- be able to understand, interpret, and explain
nursing related terms without major difficulty.
- have developed his/her reading skills and
acquired essential nursing vocabulary.
- be able to understand the main points of
standard speech on familiar matters regularly
encountered at work, in school, at leisure.
- be able to give clear, rather detailed
descriptions about the organizational structure
of a hospital, drugs, services and processes.
- be able to interact with native speakers with
high degree of fluency in customer-service,
negotiations and debates.
- be able to give their personal details, relate
their education and work experience.
- be able to write a letter of application and
in an appropriate style.
- be familiar with e-mail and business writing
- be able to produce fundamental for the field
Social contacts, your place of work, work ethics,
current articles related to the field, taking
Prerequisites and co-requisites
Skill level B1.1 (Common European Framework)
Due dates are firm!
Recommended or required reading
One of the following novels (decided on first
Look Me in The Eye by John Robinson
My Stroke of Insight by Jill Bolte Taylor
Thinking in Pictures by Temple Grandin
Left Neglected by Lisa Genova
As We Are Now by Mary Sarton
So Many Eversts by Diana Webster
Still Alice by Lisa Genova
Other materials provided by lecturer
- Lectures - 24 hours
- Individual- and group instruction - 6 hours
- Small-group work - 15 hours
- Project- and production work/artistic activities - 40 hours
- Individual studies - 40 hours
- Internet-based studies - 10 hours
- Total workload of the course: 135 hours
- Of which autonomous studies: 135 hours
- Of which scheduled studies: 0 hours
Mode of Delivery
Participation in tuition
- Demonstrations and proficiency exams
- Essays, reports, productions and portfolio
To pass the course the student should pass the
Examination 1 Sufficient activity (exercises and
Examination 2 Write a report using the correct
Examination 3 Produce a well-structured summary
Examination 4 Hold a presentation.
Examination 5 Produce a work application & CV
suitable to the field.
Further smaller oral and written assignments may
be included as needed.
The examinations contribute to the final grade
Written assignments according to extent of
assignment up to 25% each.
Reading comprehension up to 20%.
At least one oral presentation must be held in
order to pass the course.
Activity (attendance & exercises) up to 20% and
is graded accordingly:
- Kimberley Nigel
- Ray Jan-Anders
Home page of the course
No limit (24 students enrolled)
Assignments valid until
12 months after course has ended
Course enrolment period
2020-03-09 to 2020-04-05
- Date will be announced later - Demonstrations and presentations
- Date will be announced later - Reports and productions
|2020-03-25||12:00 - 14:00||English||First meeting, online class for all groups||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2020-03-31||13:00 - 15:00||Engelska SJ||Kimberley Nigel
|2020-04-09||10:00 - 12:00||Engelska||zoom||Kimberley Nigel
|2020-04-16||10:00 - 12:00||Engelska||zoom||Kimberley Nigel
|2020-04-24||10:00 - 12:00||Engelska||zoom||Kimberley Nigel
|2020-04-27||10:00 - 11:45||Engelska SJ||Zoom||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2020-05-04||12:00 - 14:00||Engelska BMHV/SJ/FV||Zoom||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2020-05-11||08:15 - 10:00||Engelska SJ||Zoom||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2020-05-18||10:00 - 12:00||Engelska BMHV/SJ/FV||Zoom||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2020-05-26||08:30 - 10:00||Engelska SJ||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2020-05-26||10:00 - 11:30||Engelska SJ||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2020-05-26||11:30 - 13:00||Engelska SJ||Ray Jan-Anders|
|2020-05-26||13:00 - 14:30||Engelska SJ||Ray Jan-Anders|