The course is included in these curricula and study modules
- Occupational therapy 2008 - Client centered practise and proffesionality
- Occupational therapy 2009 - Client centered practise and proffesionality
- Occupational therapy 2010 - Client centered practise and proffesionality
- Occupational therapy 2011 - Client centered practise and proffesionality
- Occupational therapy 2012 - Client centered practise and proffesionality
- Occupational therapy 2013 - Client centered practise and proffesionality
Type of course
Cycle/level of course
Recommended year of study
Total number of ECTS
The aim of the course is that student will develop his/her competence regarding: - occupational therapy by searching for best evidence which support the clinical practice. - occupational therapy process and professional reasoning by considering the individual client's situation when using research results as a base for intervention. - research and development in occupational therapy and occupational science by developing his/her ability to use evidence based process to search for evidence in qualitative and quantitative research results. Student is also aware of the limitations regarding research results in clinical practice.
At the end of the course the student is expected to be able to - describe the process of evidence based practice and clinical reasoning - recognize the different stages in research process - use databases to search for research articles in occupational therapy. - use the evidence based process to search for evidence in different areas of occupational therapy - summarize results from research articles in occupational therapy. - be aware of the importance to consider client's individual situation when using research results in therapy intervention.
Process for evidence based occupational therapy. Process for clinical reasoning. Databases. Critical review of research articles.
Prerequisites and co-requisites
Basic course in occupational therapy
Recommended or required reading
Backman, J. (2008). Rapporter och uppsatser. Lund: Studentlitteartur. Bury, T., Mead, J. (2000). Evidence-based healthcare. A practical guide for therapists. Holm, M. (2000). Our mandate for new millenium: Evidence-based practice. AJOT, 54; 575-84. Taylor M. Clare (2007) Evidence-Based Practice for Occupational Therapists. Whiley: Blackwell Schell, John W. & Boyt Schell, Barbara A. (2007). Clinical and professional reasoning in occupational therapy. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. ISBN10:0781759145 Kassirer, Jerome P, Kopelman, Richard I. & Wong, John B. (2009). Learning clinical reasoning. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. ISBN10:078179515X. Artiklar som grupperna söker i samband med undervisningen: Guidetti,S., Andersson,K., Andersson,M.,Tham,K. 2010. Client-centered self-care intervention after stroke. A feasibility study. Scandinavian Journal of Occupational therapy. 17(4)276-285. Gunnarsson, A., Peterson, K., Leufstaduius, C., Jansson, J. & Eklund, M. 2010. Client perceptions of the Tree Theme Method: a structured intervention based on storytelling and creative activities. Scandinavian Journal of Occupational Therapy,17 (3) 200-208 McDonald, R.A., Surtees, R. 2007. Longitudinal study evaluating a seating system using a sacral pad and kneeblock for children with cerebral palsy. Disability and Rehabilitation, 29(13), 1041-1047.
- Lectures - 20 hours
- Individual- and group instruction - 5 hours
- Practical exercises - 5 hours
- Small-group work - 10 hours
- Individual studies - 76 hours
- Internet-based studies - 10 hours
- Seminars - 7 hours
- Total workload of the course: 133 hours
- Of which autonomous studies: 133 hours
- Of which scheduled studies: 0 hours
Mode of Delivery
- Exams (written-, oral-, home-)
- Essays, reports, productions and portfolio
Passed in written tasks which are included in the course exam. Active participation in seminars and group work The final grade for the course is based on both the results from written tasks and active participation in seminars and group works.
- Keltto Tarja
- Tana Jonas
Home page of the course
Assignments valid until
Until date 2014-05-31
- Date of examination will be announced later - Exams
- Date will be announced later - Reports and productions