The course is included in these curricula and study modules
The course takes place in period
- 3 (2023-01-01 to 2023-03-19)
- 4 (2023-03-20 to 2023-07-31)
Type of course
Cycle/level of course
Recommended year of study
Total number of ECTS
You can function professionally in your own field
in English, as well as for academic purposes. You
can demonstrate relatively fluent oral and written
English in routine profession-related
situations, and you are able to adapt your
language to varying communication situations. You
have the tools and conditions to develop your
communication skills. You can use English to
enhance study skills in other professional
subjects and to promote a greater understanding of
your professional area. To achieve this, you need
to have a proficiency of at least B1.1 in English
according to the CEFR scale.
After completing the study unit, you
have knowledge of:
- your industry language and know how to develop
- academic writing, reference system and report
and ability to:
- tell about your own industry, your education and
your work experience in both speech and text.
- collaborate relatively fluently in customer
service and discussions.
- understand the main points in spoken standard
language about familiar topics.
- write basic typical documents for the industry
and academic text in English.
- follow the language's most important norms and
etiquette in speech and writing.
Lectures and coursework tasks in:
- CV and job applications: identify, formulate and
express their skills and experience.
- academic writing and reference system: writing
technique, style and structure.
- working with selected texts that contribute to
the understanding of the language and develop the
- preparing and giving presentations on topics
related to the industry.
- professional writing, e-mail, letters and report
Prerequisites and co-requisites
Competence level B 1.1 (Common European Framework)
Previous course names
SP-1-090 Professional English for Environmental
Energy Engineering, pre-2020-2021
Recommended or required reading
The lecturer provides the students with materials
and instructions on reading material.
- Lectures - 20 hours
- Practical exercises - 2 hours
- Project- and production work/artistic activities - 40 hours
- Individual studies - 40 hours
- Internet-based studies - 33 hours
- Total workload of the course: 135 hours
- Of which autonomous studies: 135 hours
- Of which scheduled studies: 0 hours
Mode of Delivery
Participation in tuition
- Demonstrations and proficiency exams
- Essays, reports, productions and portfolio
To pass the course the student should pass the
Examination 1: Continuous evaluation of coursework
exercises and tasks.
Examination 2: Write an effective job application
with an introductory letter and associated CV.
Examination 3: Write an analysis or a summary of a
topic related to your own field.
Examination 4: Hold a formal presentation on a
topic related to your own area.
Examination 5: Write a structured report on a
topic related to your own field or learning.
The examinations contribute to the final grade as
follows: E1: 10%, E2: 20%, E3: 20%, E4: 25%, E5:
Home page of the course
No limit (40 students enrolled)
Assignments valid until
Until further notice
Course enrolment period
2022-12-26 to 2023-01-22
- Date will be announced later - Demonstrations and presentations
- Date will be announced later - Reports and productions
|2023-01-10||12:15 - 14:00||B323||English Professional Communication EEE||Kimberley Nigel|
|2023-01-19||08:30 - 10:00||B323||English Professional Communication EEE||Kimberley Nigel|
|2023-01-26||09:15 - 11:00||B323||English Professional Communication EEE||Kimberley Nigel|
|2023-02-02||11:15 - 13:00||E385||English Professional Communication EEE||Kimberley Nigel|
|2023-02-06||13:15 - 15:00||E383||English Professional Communication EEE||Kimberley Nigel|
|2023-02-17||11:15 - 13:00||B323||English Professional Communication EEE||Kimberley Nigel|
|2023-02-20||13:15 - 15:00||E383||English Professional Communication EEE||Kimberley Nigel|
|2023-03-02||09:15 - 11:00||B323||English Professional Communication EEE||Kimberley Nigel|
|2023-03-06||12:30 - 14:00||B323||English Professional Communication EEE||Kimberley Nigel|
|2023-03-13||12:30 - 14:00||E385||English Professional Communication EEE||Kimberley Nigel|
|2023-03-21||11:30 - 13:00||B323||English Professional Communication EEE||Kimberley Nigel|
|2023-03-27||11:15 - 13:00||E385||English Professional Communication EEE||Kimberley Nigel|
|2023-04-04||09:15 - 11:00||B323||English Professional Communication EEE||Kimberley Nigel|
|2023-04-11||09:15 - 11:00||E383||English Professional Communication EEE||Kimberley Nigel|
|2023-04-18||09:15 - 11:00||E383||English Professional Communication EEE||Kimberley Nigel|
|2023-05-05||09:15 - 11:00||E383||English Professional Communication EEE||Kimberley Nigel|
|2023-05-09||09:15 - 11:00||E383||English Professional Communication EEE||Kimberley Nigel|
|2023-05-23||09:15 - 11:00||B323||English Professional Communication EEE||Kimberley Nigel|