The course is included in these curricula and study modules
<a href="/en/curricula/303000/2019-2020/407">Arcada business school 2013 (tourism) - Jag i världen</a>
Type of course
Cycle/level of course
Recommended year of study
Total number of ECTS
The course aims to develop professional communication skills related to the tourism industry, both written and spoken.
At the end of the course the student is expected to be able to...
- demonstrate lexical and grammatical competence in written and spoken professional contexts.
- demonstrate the ability to write effective key professional documents, including letters, work applications & CVs, business reports.
- prepare and deliver a presentation of professional interest using PowerPoint.
- participate in routine customer service interactions in English.
- have enhanced the ability to participate in social communication in the professional setting common to routine interactions.
Tourism industry terminology, routine correspondence, work applications & CVs, customer service, presentations, business report writing.
Prerequisites and co-requisites
Upper secondary school education
Previous course names
(2013-14) English for International Tourism
Recommended or required reading
English for International Tourism, Miriam Jacob & Peter Stuart (Longman)
Material distributed by the lecturer
- Lectures - 40 hours
- Individual- and group instruction - 10 hours
- Small-group work - 10 hours
- Project- and production work/artistic activities - 23 hours
- Individual studies - 30 hours
- Internet-based studies - 20 hours
- Total workload of the course: 133 hours
- Of which autonomous studies: 133 hours
- Of which scheduled studies: 0 hours
Mode of Delivery
Participation in tuition
Essays, reports, productions and portfolio
The examinations contribute to the final grade as follows:
Assessment is based on participation, completed course work and graded assignments.
Home page of the course
Assignments valid until
Until date 2014-05-30
2014-05-30 - Reports and productions