The course is included in these curricula and study modules
Type of course
Cycle/level of course
Total number of ECTS
The aim of the course is to give media practicioners conceptual tools to assess the consequences of their activities.
At the end of the course the student has proven his or her ability to understand how communities are construed by means of visual communication and how social reality is determined by film and television.
Lectures, seminars and individual essay writing.
Prerequisites and co-requisites
Previous course names
Final essay dead line 24 May 2013.
Recommended or required reading
(1) Sumiala-Seppänen, J. & Stocchetti, M. eds. (2007) Images and Communities. The Visual Construction of the Social. Helsinki: Gaudeamus Helsinki University Press Oy Yliopistokustannus Ltd, HYY-yhtymä. ISBN 978-952-495-020-6. (2) Selected Articles (to be announced by the lecturer)
- Lectures - 20 hours
- Individual studies - 107 hours
- Seminars - 6 hours
- Total workload of the course: 133 hours
- Of which autonomous studies: 133 hours
- Of which scheduled studies: 0 hours
Mode of Delivery
- Demonstrations and proficiency exams
- Essays, reports, productions and portfolio
The examination is based on learning diaries, essay work and participation in final seminar.
Home page of the course
Assignments valid until
Until date 2013-05-30
The timetable of the course
The course opens in Johannesburg with NSSE students at AFDA Monday 11 February 2013. Students that do not participate in the NSSE programme will have a second start in Helsinki in mid-March. Kursen inleds i Johannesburg med NSS-gruppen den 11 februari 2013 och pågår i två veckor. En parallellstart för studenter som inte deltar i NSS-programmet inleds i Helsingfors vid mitten av mars.
- 2013-05-31 - Demonstrations and presentations
- 2013-05-24 - Reports and productions