The course is included in these curricula and study modules
- Media culture 2007 (audio production) - Single camera production
- Media culture 2008 (audio) - Masterclass
- Film and tv 2009 (sound and music) - Short film and fiction work
- Film and tv 2010 (sound and music) - Media fundamentals
- Film and tv 2011 (sound and music) - Media fundamentals
- Film and tv 2012 (sound and music) - Media fundamentals
- Film and tv 2013 (sound and music) - Media fundamentals
Type of course
Cycle/level of course
Recommended year of study
Total number of ECTS
The aim of the course is to learn to use sound as a dramaturgical element that supports the story, pictures and actors' action in a drama film.
At the end of the course the student is expected to be able to understand how the sound functions as a dramaturgical and suspense creative element in drama and documentary film.
The course includes an introductory lecture in which the students will receive advice and ideas how to carry out the course successfully. The individual students will also study sound dramaturgically oriented literature and write an essay in which two or more sound dramaturgical theories are used to analyse sound in a film sequence. The students will also participate in a short film production as a sound designer or sound engineer to plan, record and edit sound. The students have a possibility for tutoring in the shortfilm process. The individual students are also expected to keep a learning diary in which they describe and analyse the short film process out of sound dramaturgical, sound technological and work methodological angles. The student is also expected to analyse his/her own working methods and roll during the process. The diary will be submitted for grading after the feedback lecture at the end of the course.
Prerequisites and co-requisites
Basic course in Single Camera Production 5 cr
Previous course names
Shortfilm 1 Audio for Shortfilm and Reportage 1
Recommended or required reading
David Bordwell & Kristin Thompson: Film Art - An Introduction, kapittel "Sound in the Cinema". McGraw Hill 1997, 2001, 2004 Judith Weston: Näyttelijänohjaus Larry Sider & Diane Freeman: Soundscape. The school of sound lectures 1998-2001. Wallflower Press 2003. David Sonnenschein: Sound Design. The Expressive Power of Music, Voice, and Sound Effects in Cinema. Michael Wiese Productions 2001. Rick Altman: Sound Theory, Sound Practice. Routledge 1992. Elisabeth Weis & John Belton (eds.): Film Sound: Theory and Practice. Columbia University Press 1985. Pauline Reay: Music in Film - Soundtracks and Synergy. Wallflower Press 2004.
- Lectures - 40 hours
- Practical exercises - 20 hours
- Small-group work - 48 hours
- Individual studies - 20 hours
- - 5 hours
- Total workload of the course: 133 hours
- Of which autonomous studies: 133 hours
- Of which scheduled studies: 0 hours
Mode of Delivery
Participation in tuition
- Demonstrations and proficiency exams
- Essays, reports, productions and portfolio
Attending lessions and demonstrations. Doing assignments and attending exercise.
Home page of the course
Assignments valid until
Until further notice
The timetable of the course
tidtabell skickas med e-post till anmälda
- Date will be announced later - Demonstrations and presentations
- Date will be announced later - Reports and productions