The course is included in these curricula and study modules
- Business administration 2005 (marketing focused on sme) - Marketing for smes
- Business administration 2004 (marketing) - Marketing and communications
- Business administration 2006 (marketing focused on sme) - Marketing for smes
- Business administration 2008 (marketing focused on sme) - Marketing
- Business administration 2007 (marketing focused on sme) - Marketing for smes
- Business administration 2009 (marketing) - Marketing
- Business administration 2010 (marketing) - Marketing
- Business administration 2011 (marketing) - Marketing
- Business administration 2012 (marketing) - Marketing
Type of course
Cycle/level of course
Recommended year of study
Total number of ECTS
Strategic Marketing, Cases, Business Games, Profitability of Marketing Different methods to forecast and control the company's environment are described. Special emphasis is given new product development, segmenting and targeting. Also "demand management" is described.
The student shall after the completion of the course have a deeper understanding of the relationship between the profitability of the company and the use of its marketing mix and how to achieve a sustainable competitive advantage.
The course is based on cases and a business game. The assignments are chosen so that they demonstrate how companies can use their marketing mix variables in different situations. The assignments are both long and complex and demand a fair amount of work. The business game is intended to show the link between the use of different marketing mix variables and the company's profitability.
Prerequisites and co-requisites
Passed: a basic course in marketing
Previous course names
Strategic marketing and the role of the personell
Introductory lectures, assignments and a business game. The business will be played during two complete 8 hour working days. To pass the course it is mandatory to attend the complete business game.
Recommended or required reading
Aaker D. & McLoughlin D.: Strategic Market Management- Global Perspectives, Wiley, Chichester 2010. ISBN 978-0-470-68975-2 Ahonen T.: The Insider’s Guide to Mobile, The Customers, Services, Apps, Phones, and the Business of the Newest Trillion Dollar Industry, 2010. ebook, free download. Selected parts according to examiners instructions. Jeffrey Mark (2010)Data-Driven Marketing: The 15 Metrics Everyone in Marketing Should Know, John Wiley & Sons Articles recommended by the examiner.
- Lectures - 24 hours
- Individual studies - 93 hours
- - 16 hours
- Total workload of the course: 133 hours
- Of which autonomous studies: 133 hours
- Of which scheduled studies: 0 hours
Mode of Delivery
Participation in tuition
- Exams (written-, oral-, home-)
- Essays, reports, productions and portfolio
Examination: 30% based on presentations during lectures, 30% on written examiantion and 40% on business game and report.
- Finne Thomas
- Mildén Peter
- Smirnova Elena
Home page of the course
Material kan finnas på Itslearning
Assignments valid until
12 months after course has ended
The timetable of the course
Framgår ur arbs
- 2013-03-12 - Exams
- 2013-03-06 - Reports and productions