The course is included in these curricula and study modules
Type of course
Recommended year of study
Total number of ECTS
- To describe the different components and functions of and
- To explain the differences in design as well as the advantages and
disadvantages of cold and hot runner system
- To define basic mould design guidelines.
- To design a mould for a simple plastic component.
- Use Mold flow in the design of parts and molds.
At the end of the course the student is expected to be able to understand the link between the material properties of the part, mould design and manufacturing techniques.
- Injection moulding process
- Components of 2 and 3 part moulds.
- Hot and cold runner system.
- Mould design guidelines (runner design, part thickness, drafts).
- Plastics and mould materials.
- Use of Moldflow software.
Prerequisites and co-requisites
Solid Modelling, 3-D CAD course
Recommended or required reading
- Lectures - 40 hours
- Excursions and demonstrations - 13 hours
- Laboratory lessons and tasks in a simulated environment - 40 hours
- Individual studies - 40 hours
- Total workload of the course: 133 hours
- Of which autonomous studies: 40 hours
- Of which scheduled studies: 93 hours
Mode of Delivery
Participation in tuition
Course completion date
Date for course completion will be announced later
Assignments valid until
12 months after course has ended
Date of examination will be announced later - Exams