The course is included in these curricula and study modules
Type of course
Recommended year of study
Total number of ECTS
The aim of the course is to give a problem-based exposition of the nordic media landscape. The students also learn to manage qualitative research methods suitable to collecting data about media usage. THis course is designed to form a basis for participation in research activities connectied to the project Nordic Mediascape 2020.
At the end of the course the student is expected to be able to apply relevant methods to do qualitative studies of contemporary media usage in the Nordic countries.
The research process. Qualitative research design. Research ethics. Critical reading of research reports. Contextual knowledge about the Nordic media landscape.
Prerequisites and co-requisites
Recommended or required reading
- Kvalitativa forskningsintervjun (Steinar Kvale) - Metoder i kommunikationsvetenskap (Mats Ekström & Larsåke Larsson) - Nordicom Information (i urval) - Nordicom Review (i urval) - The Nordic Media Market 2009. Media Companies and Business Activities Redaktör: Eva HarrieNordicom, 2009, 193 p., (Nordic Media Trends; 11) - ISSN 1401-0410 http://www.nordicom.gu.se/?portal=publ&main=info_publ2.php&ex=273&me=5
- Lectures - 8 hours
- Exercise based learning - 7 hours
- Project work and productions - 60 hours
- Individual studies - 60 hours
- Total workload of the course: 135 hours
- Of which autonomous studies: 120 hours
- Of which scheduled studies: 15 hours
Mode of Delivery
- Demonstrations and presentations
- Reports and productions
To pass the course the student should pass the following examinations: - reading report - excercises - questionnare design - research plan The examinations contribute to the final grade as follows: - readings (40%) - excercises (10%) - questionnare (20%) - research plan (30%)
- Lundsten Lars
- Stocchetti Matteo
Assignments valid until
Until date 2010-12-31
The timetable of the course
Undervisning, övningar & feedback v. 36, v. 38, v. 40 och v. 42.
- Date will be announced later - Demonstrations and presentations
- Date will be announced later - Reports and productions