The course is included in these curricula and study modules
Type of course
Cycle/level of course
Recommended year of study
Total number of ECTS
The aim of the course is to acquaint the
student with French pronunciation, basic French
grammar and vocabulary. The aim of the course
is furthermore to give the student some
knowledge of French culture and customs and the
French speaking countries.
At the end of the course the student is
expected to be able to
-master some of the basic principles of French
-ask simple questions.
-answer simple questions about himself/herself
and his/her family.
- form simple declarative sentences in the
present tense both orally and in writing.
-understand the main points of spoken French
(=slowly spoken) when the topics are familiar.
The basics of French grammar, vocabulary and
pronunciation. Everyday situations, The French
Prerequisites and co-requisites
Previous course names
2010 French 1.
Attendance is compulsory.
Recommended or required reading
Material distributed by the lecturer and
Martikainen, Mäkelä: Parfait!1. Helsinki: Otava,
2011. Texts 1-5.
- Lectures - 30 hours
- Individual- and group instruction - 15 hours
- Small-group work - 5 hours
- Individual studies - 55 hours
- - 28 hours
- Total workload of the course: 133 hours
- Of which autonomous studies: 133 hours
- Of which scheduled studies: 0 hours
Mode of Delivery
Participation in tuition
- Exams (written-, oral-, home-)
- Demonstrations and proficiency exams
The course grade is based on:
Written exam: 35%
Oral test: 35%
Assignments and coursework:10%
Home page of the course
Assignments valid until
12 months after course has ended
- 2018-10-15 - Exams
- 2018-10-17 - Demonstrations and presentations