You can apply for the degree certificate when all the graduation requirements are fulfilled.
Please note that if you wish to participate in the graduation ceremony on the 19th of January 2018 you need to submit your application for the degree certificate on the 21st of December 2017 at 2 pm at the latest. The processing time for an application is usually 3 weeks from submitting a complete application. However, public holidays and tuition free periods will extend the processing time. This means that students who submit their applications after November 30th 2017 will receive their degree certificates in the end of January. However, the certificate will be dated in December. Please note that no degree cerificates are handed out during the graduation ceremony.
If you wish to receive your degree certificate during this academic year (in the end of June 2018) the application for the degree certificate needs to be submitted on the 5th of June 2018 at 2 pm at the latest. This date is also the deadline of submission for those who wish to participate in the graduation ceremony on June 15th 2018. Please note that no degree cerificates are handed out during the graduation ceremony.
During the period 6.6-31.8.2018 no degree certificates will be processed or written. Students can nevertheless apply for the degree certificate during that time period but the degree certificate will not be ready until the end of September 2018.
In order to graduate:
- you must have acquired the minimum number of ECTS credits stipulated for your degree
- your thesis must have been approved
- you must have passed the required amount of practical training
- you must possess the required language skills
- you must have acquired the other key learning outcomes stipulated for your degree
All students have to apply for the degree certificate within the time of their study right. Preferably, the student should apply for the degree certificate one week before the study right ends. This gives the student a possibility to apply for the right to complete his/her studies, in case the application for the degree certificate isn’t approved.
- if your study right ends on the 31st of December 2016, you have to apply for your degree certificate by the 31st of December 2016
- if your study right ends on the 31st of July 2017 you have to apply for your degree certificate by the end of July 2017.
If your study right ends before you can apply for a degree certificate, you have to apply for the right to complete your studies. If your application is approved, you can apply for your degree certificate when your studies are completed and all credits are registered in the student register.
Instructions on how to apply for the degree certificate
Application for a degree certificate may be submitted when all studies included in the degree are conducted and noted in the transcript of records.
Application for a degree certificate includes:
- Form for application of certificate (includes a certification from the library that the student does not have any remaining library loans or unpaid fines at Arcada).
- Thesis. Please, note that you should submit one unbound (printed) copy of your degree/master thesis and two (2) copies of the evaluation when submitting the application for a degree certificate. Your thesis should also be uploaded to Theseus.fi. More detailed instructions of the submission can be found here under the heading "15. Submission".
- A transcript of records (an unofficial transcript which you can print from ASTA is enough) stating that you have completed all the courses, that the attainments are registered and that the thesis is approved.
- Form 7b ”Application to Valvira”. Please, note! This applies only to nursing students who wish to work as nurses in Finland. Valvira grants professional licenses for persons in healthcare occupations. The decision will be mailed to you by Valvira along with the bill for the application fee (40 euros). Please note that you shall not submit the appendices mentioned in the form when you are applying for your professional practice rights via Arcada. However, if you have a Civil Service Language Proficiency Certificate or a National Certificate of Language Proficiency (skill level 3 throughout), please attach a copy of the language certificate to the Valvira application form. More iformation about the language requirements can be found here. An example of how to fill in the Valvira application form is found here.
The documents are to be submitted to Student Affairs in C3 or to the information desk. The application cal also be mailed (not e-mailed). The documents cannot be submitted electronically.
After submitting the application
After the application has been submitted, it is forwarded to the Head of Programme and the Head of Department for approval. You will get your degree certificate within approximately 3 weeks from submitting a complete application. Please, note, that public holidays and tuition free periods will extend the processing time.
The graduation date on the degree certificates will be the date the application is approved. In addition, please note, that the approval of the application is not a long process. This means that the graduation date is rarely more than two weeks from the submission of the application.
The degree certificate will be ready in approximately three weeks from submission. There are two different ways to receive the degree certificate: you can either pick up the degree certificate from the information desk or get it mailed to you as a registered letter. The degree certificate is mailed as a registered letter to addresses in Finland and the Nordic countries. To other countries it is mailed as a regular letter. Arcada does not use any courier service.
If you submit the application for the degree certificate during 2.6-31.8.2017 you will graduate in the end of September 2017. This means that you will have to register as present for period 1 and 2 (autumn term) the next academic year. Please note that you according to Kela still are a student until you graduate. This has consequences for the income check, the study progress check and the reduction of the study loan.
Your Arcada user account will close after submitting the application for the degree certificate. This means that you will not be able to access any of the e-services at Arcada (e.g. your Arcada e-mail account, Itslearning, OneDrive) after graduation.
Your user account will be reactivated if you are readmitted or start to work at Arcada. In any other cases there will be a service fee if you want to reactivate your user account. The fee charged for reactivation is the same as in the application for the renewed right to study.
The AVOP questionnaire
AVOP (The national Graduand feedback questionnaire) is a joint system built up by the Universities of Applied Science and the Ministry of Education and Culture, giving the students a possibility to evaluate their studies.
Students' opinion about their education and practical training is gathered through AVOP.
The Ministry of Education and Culture uses the student feedback in evaluating education, comparing UAS and different fields of education, and in planning education. Arcada uses the received feedback in developing the education and practical training in different fields of education and degrees, and in comparing the results with other UAS.
Instructions for AVOP
You shall answer the AVOP questionnaire before you submit your application for a degree certificate. Go to avop.fi and click Haka Login. Choose Arcada as your organisation. You can then log in using your Arcada username and password. You will most likely be asked to give your consent about releasing personal information. Please answer yes to that question. After that the questionnaire will open. NB! If you use Safari, the questionnaire might not open. Please choose another browser.
If Arcada does not have your Finnish personal identity number you cannot answer the questionnaire on avop.fi. You shall contact studentaffairs(a)arcada.fi for assistance.
All students graduating from Arcada automatically obtain an appendix to the degree certificate intended for international use (Diploma Supplement). The Diploma Supplement is being issued in a widely spoken European language (English), given automatically and free of charge to every student upon graduation. The document includes information on Arcada, the studies and the academic attainments indicated in the degree certificate, as well as their level and position in the educational system.
The Supplement is aimed at improving chances for the graduate to both in Finland in Europe gain employment equal to the merits of the graduate.
The Diploma Supplement is:
- an appendix to the diploma that is issued free of charge by higher education institutions
- a means of giving information on the Finnish education system to aid graduates’ entry into education or employment in Europe
- always issued in English
The Diploma Supplement is not:
- a substitute for the actual diploma
- a CV
- a guarantee for recognition of education